Please ensure you remind and encourage your child to be vigilant walking to and from school.
- Make sure your child knows their address and your telephone number by heart, in case they get lost or have to navigate home from somewhere new.
- Establish a home time (how long should it take them to walk or cycle)
- Talk to your child about road safety. They should always look both ways before crossing the street, and never be on their phone whilst crossing a road.
- Remind them never to accept a lift from someone they don’t know, or let a stranger into the house. They should never give personal information away – in real life or online.
- Remind them that if they feel unsafe or uncomfortable at any time, they can call you or a trusted adult.
- Avoid walking in dark alley ways/tunnels or woodlands alone
- If they ever feel like they’re in immediate danger, they should call home or the police straight away.
- Avoid crossing the road whilst texting/looking at their mobile phone
- Avoid listening to loud music whilst walking alone
- Wear suitable footwear
- Sensible coat to keep warm
Be vigilant and aware of their environment. We would ask parents to report any suspicious behaviour in the community to the police.